A new landscaping and water conservation educational program for
Homeowner Associations (HOAs) and their members.
Cultivating Communities Fair
What the Bexar County Master Gardeners Do:
Cultivating Communities Fair
Master Gardeners will set up and run a 2 1/2 hour Cultivating Communities Fair for the community, including
- Ask a Master Gardener – bring gardening questions to discuss with a Master Gardener
- Workshops Signups – learn about the upcoming workshops and sign up for one or both
- Landscape Reviews – learn about the personalized landscape reviews and sign up for a consultation
- Plus other activities that incorporate EarthKind® gardening techniques!
Two-hour workshops are designed to give homeowners hands-on experience while working with Master Gardeners. Each HOA may choose two of the following:
Drip Irrigation 101
The average family in Bexar County uses between 30-50% of their water on their landscapes during the summer months. Learn the benefits of using drip irrigation. Become familiar with the components and design of a drip system. Participants will assemble a drip system from water source to end cap!
Garden Tools 101
So many garden tools to choose from! Learn about the basic hand tools for keeping a landscape looking its best. Basic care techniques will be covered to keep tools working well and lasting longer. Participants will clean and sharpen hand pruners (bring your own or use one of ours).
Right Plant, Right Place: Texas Superstars
Whether you are replacing a few plants in your landscape or starting from scratch, part of a great-looking landscape is having the right plants in the right place. Learn how Texas Superstars and other well-adapted plants can work for you. Participants will design a landscape using the design tips and plant choices covered in this workshop.
Homeowners may face an aging landscape or new construction. They may have a problem area or are just looking for some new ideas to freshen their landscape. A Landscape Review may be just what is needed!
How it works:
- Homeowners sign up for the free Landscape Review at your community’s Cultivating Communities Fair
- Homeowners complete a free WaterSaver Irrigation Consultation with the San Antonio Water Systems (SAWS)
- Master Gardeners will arrive at the home at the scheduled time for the one hour personal consultation
- Existing landscape, WaterSaver Irrigation recommendations, and homeowners landscaping goals are reviewed.
- Suggestions and recommendations are discussed to help meet the homeowners goals
- Note: Landscaping Reviews are only available through HOA communities participating in the Cultivating Communities program.
What Homeowner Associations Do
- Location for the Cultivating Communities Fair and Workshops
- Coordinate dates/times for Fair and Workshops with Cultivating Communities coordinator
- Publicize Fair, Workshops, and Landscape Reviews to their members
How to Get Started
Contact Anna Vogler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Limited availability, sign up early!
Cultivating Communites is a Bexar County Master Program in support of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and in partnership with the San Antonio Water System.